Ah, the slow cooker. Such a genius invention if you ask me, especially for busy weekdays and cool autumn nights. A slow cooker allows you to make easy, slow-cooked, flavorful meals, without having to slave over a stove. Toss everything into the slow cooker, set it and forget it. After a busy work and school day, you can come home to a meal that’s ready when you are!
One of my favorite soup recipes is this chicken tortilla soup. This soup is slightly spicy, super flavorful and chockful of veggies and protein! Delicious and hearty, this chicken tortilla soup eats like a meal. Add some fresh garnishes like crispy tortilla strips, avocado and sour cream, and you have an amazing bowl of deliciousness for you and your family to enjoy.
1 bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz. can corn kernels, drained
1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and chiles (Rotel)
2 cups cooked chicken, diced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2-3 teaspoons kosher salt, to taste
Crispy tortilla strips
Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
Dice the peppers and onions. Mince the garlic, and drain the corn and beans.
Add the veggies into your slow cooker insert, then add the chili powder, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika and red pepper flakes.
Add the chicken, diced tomatoes and chiles (juice and all).
Finally, pour in the chicken broth, and stir everything to combine.
Cover the slow cooker, then cook on high for 2-3 hours, or low for 4-5 hours.
Season with salt to taste, then serve it up!
I think chicken tortilla soup is as much about the garnishes as it is about the soup, so go wild!
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can corn kernels, drained
- 1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and chiles (Rotel)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 teaspoons kosher salt, to taste
- For Garnish
- Crispy tortilla strips
- Diced avocado
- Sour cream
- Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- Add all the ingredients into the slow cooker except the cilantro and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro and season with salt to taste.
- Garnish each bowl with shredded cheese, diced avocado, crispy tortilla strips and sour cream.