This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Mazola® Corn Oil. All opinions are mine alone. #simpleswap #CollectiveBias
If you ask me, empanadas are one of the most delicious foods to come out of Latin America. These scrumptious crab empanadas are no exception. Every culture has their variation on the dough and filling, but one thing is pretty common…they’re usually fried. Instead of deep frying my empanadas, I brush my empanadas with Mazola® Corn Oil and bake them in the oven. They come out perfectly crispy, and way better for you! A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, see Mazola.com
These tasty crab empanadas are my favorite thing to order when I visit Puerto Rico, they’re the perfect treat to grab when you’re on the beach. Many beaches in Puerto Rico feature kioskos, small beachside shacks that serve up all types of fried treats to snack on while you’re baking in the sun. I’m making some lighter swaps to traditional empanadas, which are usually fried…in lard. To lighten them up, I’m using pre-made empanadas shells that are made specifically for baking, they’re available in the frozen section of your local supermarket. Most frozen empanada shells are made for frying, and don’t come out well in the oven, so make sure to buy the ones made for baking. To make sure they come out super crispy, I’m brushing them with Mazola Corn Oil to achieve the perfect crunch, instead of frying them in lard.
Mazola Corn Oil has a smoke point higher than most cooking oils at 450°F and performs well in a variety of cooking applications, including stir-frying, sautéing, grilling and even baking. Many home cooks may not realize that all cooking oils have a smoke point that, once exceeded, not only negatively affect the food’s flavor and nutritional value. Mazola Corn Oil has a neutral taste that won’t negatively impact the taste of ingredients, so it lets the natural flavor of your food stand out. So instead of cooking with butter or lard, give Mazola Corn Oil a try, you won’t regret it, and neither will your waistline.
- 1 lb lump crab meat
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 packet Sazon seasoning
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons + t tablespoon Mazola® Corn Oil, divided
- Frozen empanada discs, defrosted (made for baking)
- Heat a sauce pan on medium-low heat. Add 2 teaspoons of Mazola® Corn Oil, reserve the other tablespoon.
- Add the diced peppers and onions, saute for 3 minutes, until soft.
- Add the tomato sauce and sazon seasoning. Stir to combine, then cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the crab meat and cilantro, then cook for 2 minutes.
- Season the crab mixture with salt and pepper to taste, then refrigerate the filling until it’s cold.
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons into the center of each empanada disc.
- Pinch the edges with your fingers or with a fork to close.
- Place the empanadas onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the empanadas with the remaining tablespoon of Mazola® Corn Oil.
- Bake the empanadas for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
For more ways to make simple swaps, visit Mazola on Facebook!